June 2, 2020 – Version 2.0.6 is the last version that will support iOS 10 & 11. After 1-1-2021 all Rigelian functionality will be available without subscription for users which are still on these older iOS versions.
The following changes are included:
- Don’t like purple? You can now select from a small number of additional theme colors.
- Track numbering for multi-disc sets now works correctly.
- The display of quality information is improved.
- Some minor fixes.
May 24, 2020 – Version 1.0.1 for macOS makes the app more mac-like:
- The control bar is moved to the top.
- Coloring on the menu and navigation bar is improved.
- Access to player functions and info screens is moved to the main menu.
- The visibility of popover menus is improved.
- A problem where ‘space’ could not be entered when searching is fixed.
May 7, 2020 – Version 2.0.5 for iOS fixes layout issues on iOS 10 and 11, and makes sure the app runs on 32-bit devices (iPad 4th generation, iPhone 5 and 5c).
April 28, 2020 – Version 2.0.4 for iOS brings the following improvements and fixes:
- Rigelian adjusts to your font size preference by using dynamic type on almost all screens.
- The spacing on album and preset views is improved.
- The layout of context menus is improved.
- You can now hide unwanted players on your network.
- A problem where text was poorly readable on various screens is fixed.
- A problem where the today widget didn’t work for kodi players is fixed.
- Devices based on a 32-bit processor are supported again.
April 18, 2020 – Version 1.0.0 for Mac
Rigelian is now also available on the Mac App Store. All functions from the iPad app are available on the Mac version as well. It’s still a little bit rough around the edges and doesn’t have the full native Mac feel yet, improving this is planned to be done gradually the coming period. And good news for existing subscribers: you can share your subscription across all devices.
March 17, 2020 – Version 2.0.3 fixes a crash on the composer and performer view.
March 14, 2020 – Version 2.0.2 makes artist browsing much nicer for subscribers:
- Large artist icons on the browse screen
- The artist view shows an artist biography from last.fm
- The artist view presents a list of similar artists in your library
- On various screens the text-size will be adjusted according to your personal settings
- A crash at startup that some users experienced is fixed
- Some graphical improvements on the iPad.
February 10, 2020 – Version 2.0.1 brings a couple of smaller improvements:
The quality display includes the bitrate of the currently playing track.
On iPad, a cover only view is shown when you tap on the album cover in the full screen view.
- Some minor problems are fixed.
February 4, 2020 – Version 2.0.0 brings support for Kodi
You can now use Rigelian to control the music on a Kodi player.
Almost all Rigelian functions are available: browse by artist, album, genre and folder. Search, radio stations, play random album or song, auto discovery of players.
January 7, 2020 – Version 1.7.2 brings the following improvements:
Cover art retrieval directly from mpd is now supported. Note that this requires at least mpd version 0.21.
The cover art assistant is extended to better guide you, and to increase the configuration options for cover art. Long press on an album to open it.
On iOS 13 the new style long-press context menus are used.
Many changes under the hood to make future development of the app easier.
Some small bug fixes and improvements.
November 28, 2019 – Version 1.7.1 brings the following improvements:
- A new full screen view on iPad.
- Some minor bugs are fixed.
- The stability of the today widget is improved.
October 21, 2019 – Version 1.7.0 brings full compatibility with iOS 13:
- Support for native dark mode.
- Some minor bugs are fixed.
- The stability of the today widget is improved.
September 4, 2019 – Version 1.6.1 improves the stability of Rigelian.
August 17, 2019 – Version 1.6.0 has a focus on artwork improvements and filtering:
- Gracenote cover art retrieval was broken and is replaced by artwork retrieval from coverartarchive and discogs.
- The artist screen will show large artist artwork when available.
- Local artist artwork retrieval over http is enabled.
- Filtering on album and artists screens is available, so you can find the next thing to play even faster (requires a subscription).
- The quality indicator will now also show the filetype like mp3, flac.
- Album retrieval is improved for mid 0.21.11 and higher.
July 3, 2019 – Version 1.5.4 brings the following improvements:
- Presets can also be selected from the today widget.
- A display issue for presets on iOS 11 is fixed.
- Songs from albums that consist of multiple tracks are now shown and played in the correct order.
June 24, 2019 – Version 1.5.3 lets subscribers create presets for albums, playlists, radio stations and songs for direct access from the main screen.
May 12, 2019 – Version 1.5.2 makes some changes in how meta-data is used:
- When browsing via artist (or composer or performer) into an album, only the album tracks by that artist will be shown.
- Some albums were either not shown or shown double when meta-data was inconsistent. The handling of these scenarios is improved.
- When using a recent version of mpd, the quality (bitrate, encoding) will be shown on the album view.
April 24, 2019 – Version 1.5.1 is a bug fix release that fixes a crash on iPad when opening a playlist.
April 22, 2019 – Version 1.5.0 enables a dark-mode for subscribers.
- Subscribers can choose one of the following themes: light, light monochrome, dark and dark monochrome.
- Cover art handling has been completely rewritten, and gracenote cover art retrieval is now more reliable (smaller chance of incorrect artwork).
March 26, 2019 – Version 1.4.6 brings the following new features and improvements:
- The main menu is now also configurable on iPad (for subscribers).
- You can have Rigelian play 100 random songs for you.
- On the player settings, you can specify a different host for http-based cover art retrieval.
- Some small improvements on the random album function.
March 11, 2019 – Version 1.4.5 is a bug fix release.
March 6, 2019 – Version 1.4.4 brings the following improvements and bugfixes:
- Various actions now provide haptic and visual feedback (haptic feedback is only available on iPhone).
- Songs on an album with multiple artists are now shown in the correct order.
- Cover art for songs with “:” in the title is now displayed correctly.
- A problem is fixed where songs and albums were sometimes not added at the right position in the playqueue.
- A problem is fixed where the buttons on the now playing screen were disabled.
February 17, 2019 – Version 1.4.3 brings the following smaller improvements:
- The new section scroll bar is now also available for artists, composers and performers.
- Scrolling performance on album views is improved.
- Retrieval of album covers is improved.
- A diagnostics functions is added to help troubleshoot missing data issues.
January 22, 2019 – Subcribers will be happy to see a couple of frequently requested features in version 1.4.2:
- It’s now possible to quick-scroll through the album list by section.
- A complete folder (including subfolders) can be added or shuffled all at once to the play queue.
- The above function also makes it possible to add the complete library to the play queue.
- A long-press menu on folders gives access to the standard add methods (replace, add next, add at end.
- In addition to these new features, the compatibility with specific mpd versions has been improved.
January 3, 2019 – Version 1.4.1 is a bug fix release.
December 30, 2018 – Here’s what’s new in Version 1.4:
- Automatic discovery and configuration of moOde players.
- You can now enable / disable outputs on a player (subscribers only)
- A double-click on the play/pause button will now stop and go to the beginning of the play queue.
- Fixes for various smaller bugs.
December 19, 2018 – Version 1.3.5 brings the following improvements:
- No inspiration? Let Rigelian pick an album for you.
- Quickly go to the artist and album of the currently playing track by clicking on the artist – album label in the now playing view.
- You can now specify a http port number in the cover art settings.
- Feature requests and bug reports now contain additional information to support trouble shooting.
- Some minor bug fixes.
November 28, 2018 – Version 1.3.4 brings the following improvements:
- Cover art handling is improved, and an assistant is added which shows exactly how cover art is loaded.
- You can now use the mpd ‘consume’ function.
- You can now stop (instead of pause) by double-clicking the pause button.
- Editing functions for saved playlists are added.
- Some small visual improvements are made.
November 12, 2018 – Version 1.3.3 adds an improved onboarding experience for new users, and provides a layout that is compatible with the new iPad Pro models.
October 7, 2018 – Version 1.3.2 brings some smaller improvements:
- You can now add songs to a playlist from the long-press menu.
- The appearance of the now-playing view on iPhone X and Xs is improved.
- If only a single player is detected, it will be automatically selected.
September 24, 2018 – Version 1.3.1 brings the following improvements:
- A brand-new today widget will give you quick access to the most used controls from the lock screen.
- The album view now includes a list of other albums by the same artist.
- The animation for opening and closing the now playing view is improved.
- A password can be entered when manually adding a player.
- When using the accessibility feature ‘Smart Invert Colors’, cover art will now be shown correctly. This gives sort-of-a dark mode.
- Subscribers can now disable gracenote cover art retrieval.
September 4, 2018 – Version 1.3.0 brings radio support using Shoutcast:
- Browse radio stations by genre.
- Search radio stations by name, genre or what is playing.
- Mark radio stations as favorite for immediate access.
- Manually add radio stations which are not published on Shoutcast.
Other changes include:
- You can now delete tracks from the playqueue by swiping them to the left.
- On album and playlist views the number of tracks and total duration is shown.
- Various graphical refinements are made.
- Some minor issues are fixed.
August 6, 2018 – Version 1.2.5 brings the following improvements:
- Understand ‘The’ in an artist name, i.e. show The Beatles under ‘B’ instead of ‘T’.
- Support is added for sortartist and sortartistalbum tags, to sort the artist list.
- Playlists based on cue files will be shown when browsing, and can be loaded into the play queue.
- When displaying the albums for an artist, the year of release is shown for each album.
- Some minor issues are fixed.
July 23, 2018 – Version 1.2.4 brings the following improvements:
- By popular demand, browsing and searching on both composer and performer is added (requires a subscription).
- On iPhone, subscribers can configure the main menu (which entries to show and in which order).
- In case an incorrect album cover is cached, you can now remove that cover from the cache so it gets reloaded.
- Support for password protected players is added.
- Artist and genre album lists can be sorted on title, year and artist.
July 10, 2018 – Version 1.2.3 brings the following improvements:
- The handling of missing metadata on .wav files is improved.
- Cover art will now be found regardless of the filename used.
- In the albums list you can now sort by album title.
- You can report feature requests via a built-in mechanism.
- Various minor bugs have been fixed.
June 25, 2018 – Version 1.2.2 brings some smaller improvements:
- Maintain a list of recent search terms for quick re-use.
- Ensure proper cover art retrieval from Volumio players when an artist name contains special characters.
- Some minor bug fixes.
June 18, 2018 – Version 1.2.1 brings some smaller improvements:
- Better looking album and playlist views on the iPad
- Improved handling of .wav files to deal with missing metadata in some mpd-versions
- Improved scrolling on album views
- Some small bug fixes
June 4, 2018 – Version 1.2 brings the full iPad experience to Rigelian, plus some other improvements:
- Layout optimized for the larger iPad screen, both in landscape and portrait mode
- Quick popup-access to the playqueue and all of your players
- Full support for multi-tasking: run Rigelian side-by-side or on top of another app
- Cover art retrieval for missing covers from Gracenote (requires a Rigelian subscription)
- Show artist images on the Artist view
- Automatic detection of players based on RuneAudio
May 17, 2018 – Version 1.1.1 is a bug fix release.
May 14, 2018 – Version 1.1 of Rigelian adds the following functions:
- Browse through the raw folder structure (requires a Rigelian subscription)
- Possibility to manually add a player
- Option to filter artists by Album-Artist
- Add possibility to clear the play queue
- Every 5th day of the month will now be wax-cylinder day
April 29, 2018 – With the initial release of version 1.0 of Rigelian, everything is new. Here’s what you can expect:
- Browse by Artist, Album, Genre
- Save and update playlists
- Immediate access to your most recently added albums
- Intuitive and fast search function
- Add music the way you want it:
- Replace your play queue
- Add at the next position in the play queue
- Add at the next position in the play queue and start playing
- Add to the end of the play queue
- Play queue editing: move and remove tracks
- Cross-browsing from the play queue to artist and album
- Display quality indicator for the currently playing track
- Automatic detection of the players on your network
- Easily switch between players
- Support for all device sizes: iPhone SE, iPhone 8, iPhone 8+ and iPhone X